Safe Firearm Storage
Don’t dismiss the need to store firearms safely. The consequences can cause serious injury or death. Follow these guidelines to keep firearms away from all unauthorized persons:
1. Always remove ammunition from guns.
2. Assure no unauthorized persons have access to your gun.
3. Place ammunition in a locked location, separate from guns. When deciding where to store ammunition, remember to select a secure place that is out of sight and reach of children.
4. Secure unloaded firearms with a gun lock, gun alarm or other type of tamper-proof device. These might render the firearm inoperable.
5. Store unloaded guns in a gun cabinet, safe, or locked gun vault. Remember to place a locked storage case where children can’t find it.
6. Keep gun storage keys away from the “every day” keys.
Take responsibility for gun ownership. Learn how to handle a gun safely. One careless act with a firearm can result in a deadly mistake.
1. Do not allow untrained or unauthorized persons to handle guns.
2. Always handle fire arms as if they were loaded.
3. Keep guns pointed in a safe direction. Never point a gun at someone. Remember that bullets can ricochet off or penetrate walls, ceilings, doors, windows and other surfaces and objects.
4. Do not allow children, teenagers or adults to play with guns or handle them like toys.
5. Read all instruction manuals completely before using any firearm and take a gun safety course.
6. Teach children the basic elements of gun safety and instruct them on what to do if they find or see a gun. Tell them, “Never play with guns. If you find one, leave it alone and tell a grown up”.
7. Guns can be a natural curiosity for children. Repeat the “Don’t play with guns” message frequently. Reinforce it by quizzing them on what they would do if they found a gun.
Key Points for Children to Remember
Practice the following four simple steps with your young children:
2. DON’T TOUCH
3. LEAVE THE AREA
4. TELL AN ADULT
A gun in the home is not uncommon considering that half the homes in America have one. When gun safety isn’t practiced in these homes, lives can be destroyed and lost: husbands, wives, sons, daughters, grandchildren, and friends. Often times these needless deaths can be prevented. You can help save lives! Practice gun safety in the home. Tell your neighbors, friends and relatives to spread the message throughout the community
Firearm Safety in the Home
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Course
Utah CCW Carry